has the coat of arms
Territory of Finland
Abel Tasman National Park is New Zealand's smallest national park, but one of the most popular. Coastal tracks are world-famous for their breathtaking beauty.
An up and coming wine region
Main territory of New Zealand
Manurewa, South Auckland. Home to over 10,000 plants from around the world, spread over 64 hectares in South Auckland.
344 kmÂ². New Zealand's 2nd largest lake. Lake Te Anau is in the south-western corner of the South Island of New Zealand. Its name was originally Te Ana-au, Maori for 'The cave of swirling water'.
113 sq. mi. (free association)
Mt Cook also known as Aoraki
Richfields, Maxies. Richfields Dark is real (70% cocoa) dark chocolate hand-crafted in New Zealand.
These limestone caves are a popular tourist attraction with unusual stalactite formations and millions of glow worms.
291 kmÂ². New Zealand's 3rd largest lake. With a length of 80 kilometres, it is New Zealand's longest lake. It is at an altitude of 310 m, towards the southern end of the Southern Alps.
Moved to Wellington, 1841 - 1865
The stars represent the Southern Cross constellation and the "Union Jack" represents the past under British Rule
Auckland, New Zealand. Major NZ daily
Named for their playing strip. Early New Zealand national rugby uniforms consisted of a black jersey with a silver fern and white knickerbockers. By their 1905 tour New Zealand were wearing all black, except for the silver fern, and their All Black name dates from this time.
Originally Auckland was the capital, but in 1876 Wellington became capital as it is more central. It was named after the first Duke of Wellington. Wellington sits on a fault line and is prone to earthquakes, some quite severe. The city is often referred to as Windy Wellington.
1878 - Moeraki. Construction of the lighthouse commenced in 1876 but was delayed by bad weather. Just before the light was to be lit a severe storm struck and shook the tower so violently the lamp glass broke. The lamp was replaced and the wooden tower had to be strengthened before the light was lit in 1878. The light was fully automated in 1975.