1877 - Cook Strait. Brothers Island was the last NZ lighthouse to be de-manned (1990). The Brothers Islands are situated on the western side of Cook Strait. In 1877 the lighthouse was built on the largest of the two islands to replace the light on Mana Island, which sailors often confused with the light at Pencarrow head. The isolation on this station was notorious for sending keepers 'rock happy', making it the least popular of all lighthouses in New Zealand.