|Your overall rating on Lighthouses = |
|Your best rally score on Lighthouses = 0 facts|
In the Lighthouse Directory, navigational beacons are considered to be lighthouses if they have a height of at least 4 meters and a footprint of at least 4 square meters. These are all active lighthouses.
1873 - Great Barrier Reef
1913 - Queen Charlotte Islands
1874 - Strait of Bonifacio
1848 - ÃŽle de la Giraglia
Isla Uvita, Costa Ria;s only major port on the Caribbean Sea
1856 - Bavaria's only lighthouse
1883 - Lodbjerg Klitplantage
1883 - Burgess Island. The lighthouse was first planned in 1876 but was not lit until 1883 due to debate over the placement of the light The tower was constructed of blue stone blocks which were fitted together in Auckland then dismantled and barged to the islands.
1855 - Bahia de la Concha
1972 - Great Andaman Island
1911 - Cap Saint-SÃ©bastien
1870 - Kaka Point. Port Molyneux situated at the mouth of the Clutha river was a bustling port between the 1860s & 1870s making Nugget Point with its reefs & rocks a necessary place for a lighthouse. Originally a 3 keeper light it was automated in 1982.
1677 - Nearest land point to the site of the sinking of the RMS Lusitania in 1915
1642 - Manila Bay. The oldest light house in the Philippines
1906 - Pencarrow Coastal Road. The site of New Zealand's first lighthouse it marks the eastern entrance to Wellington Harbour. Initially in 1841, two wooden markers were built in but these blew away. A make shift beacon was then built & was tended by George Bennett & his wife Mary. In 1858 the iron tower arrived from England. By the time it was built George Bennett had drowned in a boating accident so his wife Mary became New Zealand's first official lighthouse keeper. The light was first lit 1 January 1859. The light was often shrouded by low fog so a new tower was constructed on the beach in 1906. Both lights burned together until Bearing Head lighthouse was built in 1935 and the original light was decommissioned.
1980 - Strait of Bonifacio
1869 - Le Grau-du-Roi, Languedoc-Roussilon
1853 - Palisadoes Peninsula
1864 - Baie de Port-au-Prince
1895 - Cap-HaÃ¯tien. One of the last surviving quadrupod towers.
1829 - Baia de Sao Marcos
1975 - Prince Christian's Sound
1996 - The lighthouse was built to honor the 50th anniversry of the reign of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
1986 - Little Nicobar Island
1864 - Puerto Cabello. Venezuela's oldest lighthouse
1975 - Golfo de Guayaquil
1927 - Paraguana Peninsula
1894 - BahÃa de Nuevitas
1893 - Pinamar, the easternmost point of Argentina - the dangerous coast noted for its shipwrecks
1880 - Golfe de Porto-Vecchio
1555 - Ordered by Charles V, the Spanish Holy Roman Emperior
1905 - Rangitoto Island.Rangitoto was first built in 1882, but because of disagreements between the Auckland Harbour Board and the Marine Department, the light was not lit until 1905. Now solar-powered.
1848 - Harbor of Alexandria
1931 - RaufarhÃ¶fn Harbor
1971 - Shiretoko Peninsula
1906 - Monte Hermoso. The tallest in Argentina.
1861 - Ria de Ribadesella
1908 - Grand Harbor of Valetta
1733 - Via Destra del Porto
1957 - Viale T. Pasqualini
1854 - West Frisian Islands
1914 - Carmen de Patagones
1865 - Danube River. Established by the Ottoman Empire
1924 - Ãrea Natural Protegida BahÃa de San Antonio.
1891 - Hat Head National Park
1866 - Wellington Harbour. The lighthouse was first lit on 17 February, 1866. It is an octagonal cast iron tower, standing 14 feet tall. The tower and lantern were imported from Britain. At the time it was one of only eight lighthouses around the country and was the first inner harbour light. Rrapeseed oil was used until about 1878, then paraffin oil was used. By 1895 a more powerful light was needed. The new & present tower, entering service in 1900, is round & constructed of brick. The old tower was demolished.
1749 - Dumfries and Galloway
1894 - South Negril Point
1997 - South Sentinel Island
1879 - St. David's Island
1949 - ConceptiÃ³n del Uruguay Harbor
1908 - Grand Harbor of Valetta
1894 - Cook Strait. White cast iron tower.
1908 - St. Michael's Island
1877 - St. Tudwal Island West
1865 - Otago Peninsula.Marks the entrance to Otago Harbour. Built from stone quarried locally and lined with kauri timber. Due to the Russian invasion scare of 1885, Armstrong retractable guns placed nearby. The guns were only ever test fired and on these occasions they cracked the lantern room windows. The guns were again manned during the two world wars. The light is now automated.
1835 - Thalassery. Once a port for the British East India Company
1594 - West Frisian Islands
1865 - Hauraki Gulf. Situated on Tiritiri Matangi Island in the Hauraki Gulf, this is the oldest operational lighthouse in New Zealand.
1833 - Ordered by the Empress Maria Theresa
1904 - Timaru. This fully automated lighthouse was never manned.
1889 - Mwana Wa Mwana Island
County Wexford, most dangerous navigational hazard on the Irish coast.
Facts contributed by: